Edison Park is a classic example of the subdivisions that sprouted throughout the city during the Florida "Boom Time" of the 1920's. The development was headed by Fort Myers businessman, James D. Newton. The official opening of the Edison Park Subdivision was held on April 7, 1926.
Although some modern intrusion is to be found, many good examples of Mediterranean style and frame vernacular architecture are also present. Of particular interest is Larchmont Street with its frame vernacular Mediterranean Revival and Bungalow style homes. There is very little modern intrusion on Larchmont. Marlyn, Monte Vista and Euclid also have concentrations of older homes within the district. Edison Park Elementary School, on Euclid, is the largest and most ornate Mediterranean Revival style structure in the city.
Send any questions or comments
about this page to:
Return to City of Fort Myers
Top of Page